Here is a valuable advice for all marketing experts: « It is essential to understand that each franchise has its own functioning and that the success of a campaign goes through taking into account these differences. »
This is what emerges from a report published by Newzoo, a research firm specializing in games, sports and mobile technologies. This whitepaper titled « What Esports Brand Suits Yours Best » was commissioned by the Esports Bar Miami, the new event dedicated to the Esport industry that will take place in Miami from September 18 to 20, 2017.
« Communication with fans is one of a kind. Each franchise has its own community of players and spectators, and there is no game that affects all fans, » says Jurre Pannekeet, Senior Marketing Analyst At Newzoo. « As with traditional sports, sports games are popular in some areas, with some audiences. It’s important to understand the differences between franchises and to take them into account for the success of a marketing campaign« , he says.
The Newzoo report highlights the following points:
- Five franchises (League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Hearthstone and Overwatch) accounted for 85% of the total viewing hours viewed on Twitch in May 2017
- 70% of viewers only follow the content of one of the three main franchises (LoL, CS: Go and Dota 2)
League of Legends viewers are less likely to follow other games
- 89% of LoL viewers have a positive image of the Nike brand
- 85% of CS: Go fans have a positive image of the Coca-Cola brand
- Among the top five franchises, Hearthstone has the highest number of viewers
- 93% of LoL viewers are Facebook users, while 79% of Dota 2 viewers use WhatsApp
Tencent, the world’s largest video game company, intends to invest $ 15 billion in cash over the next five years.
« This report by Newzoo will serve as a basis for reflection on how marketing experts can reach their target audience amongst fans who potentially represent millions of people.The Esports Bar in Miami in September will be an opportunity to deepen this strategic issue » enthuses Stéphane Gambetta, Esports Bar Development Director.